It is important to be correctly insured when doing mountain sports. In the mountains, costly rescues may require insurance beyond what regular health insurance covers.

When you sign up for our courses, you should ensure that you are at least insured for the part of your trip that involves our service. This is a condition for entering our courses – Check paragraph 11 of our General Terms and Conditions.

Policies and what they cover vary greatly and can depend on where you come from. You should make sure you are covered for the following elements:

Emergency medical expenses
Search & Rescue Insurance.
Repatriation insurance.
Trip cancellation insurance.

You should check that the insurance you take out is relevant to the activity you sign up for and that it is valid within the geographical area of the course venue. If you have any doubts, check with the insurance provider.

People have different coverage needs. If you have a very important job or a costly living, ensure you are adequately insured to the amount you need.

European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

This free card provides access to state-provided healthcare temporarily in 27 EU countries, including Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway, and Switzerland.

The card allows EU citizens and certain other eligible individuals to receive medical treatment under the same conditions and at the same cost (if any) as people insured in the country they visit. The card covers any necessary medical treatment, including pre-existing medical conditions and routine maternity care.

It’s important to note that the EHIC is not a replacement for travel insurance, as it only covers necessary healthcare and does not cover costs such as private healthcare or mountain rescue. Additionally, the EHIC is invalid for planned medical treatment in another EU country and does not cover repatriation costs to your home country.

Rescue insurance (Search and Rescue)

In France, it is free to be rescued by helicopter, but in Switzerland and Italy, you need insurance. As we often go between these three countries, you must always ensure you are insured for search & rescue.

Carte Sauvetage – Insurance if you are staying in Switzerland

Impact Multisport – Good overall insurance for Europeans.

The Austrian Alpine Club – The Austrian Alpine Club has good insurance, and as a member, you receive a discount when staying in Alpine huts.

Global Rescue – An American organisation which offers a membership-based service for rescue & repatriation, with different plans depending on your needs. Seems good, but also quite expensive.

While members of the European Union have the right to hospitals in member countries, you should ensure you are insured for any case where you need assisted travel back to your home country. This might be included in your home insurance, but we urge you to check this with your insurance.

Accident insurance
This is often private and non-mandatory insurance that covers extra expenses in the event of an injury or can be distributed in a lump sum if the injury is to a certain degree. Check with your private company whether your accident insurance covers the activities we will be doing.

Trip cancellation insurance
Tours in the mountains with guides are not cheap, and it is, therefore, a good idea to insure yourself in case you cannot join the trip at the last minute. It has proven to be extremely practical for several former customers who have been able to get their course fees refunded, as they have either been prevented from participating (personal injury or sick relative) or have injured themselves on one of the first days of the trip. Please note that cancellation insurance must be taken out when a deposit on a trip is paid.